Magic Arts Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Top posting users this month
No user

Affiliates

Darkness Flame Academy

Unotitalius

BWDA

Relax Zone

free forum

Controversy: Pot of Greed at 1?

5 posters

Go down

Controversy: Pot of Greed at 1? Empty Controversy: Pot of Greed at 1?

Post by Lelouch Lamperouge Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:11 am

The Ultimate Lifeform that surpasses all who came before him

This is a new series that I created out of one thought. What if Konami unbanned the most evil card to ever graced the game of yugioh...the card that oozing nothing but gluttony and selfishness............... Pot Of Greed!

Pot of greed has a simple effect. Draw 2 cards. Its a generic plus one. But...plus ones are bad? Right? The game is so fast as it is. Giving decks like Nekroz and Qliphorts even more consistency will break the game right? Lets take a closer look at the top tier decks. Qliphorts have Scout and Monolith. Scout is a Rota for the Entire DECK and monolith is a Plus 3!!! Nekroz they do nothing but search and get so many little plus ones through out their turn, they end up plusing 3 or more. Tellarknights they have Deneb a plus one that is easily search by rota and resused 3 plus times searching any monster the player wants from the archetype. Also they have triverr that reuses fiendish chain and call of haunted, and allows you to make your opponent discard a card from their hand. Shadolls have Shadoll Fusion which is easily a plus 2 or more in 90% of the cases. Burning Abyss are so floaty they plus so much just from one Dante summon. Then all those serpah hybirds which are like plus 4s. But now lets look at some of the tier 2 and lower decks. Dragunities they have ravine which....makes the deck go even. Yosenju can go plus one if they can get Kama 3 effec off or when they summon 3 Monsters while having Training grounds up. Infernoids can plus if the get the Bambo sword combo off, but lets be honest how consistent if that really? I rarely seen people get draws from the bambo swords. Heroes can plus one from Shadowmist and thats it. Don't get me started on more casual decks that are "Tier 3" or "lower".
Today's top tier decks allow multiple searchable plus ones or more that allow the player to draw insane amount of cards, add any monster/ archetype card you want, or messes up with your opponent's cards. But a lot of the lower tier decks have little to no actual plus ones they can use and need to get to their power plays which could win them games.
Sure, Pot of Greed would be a staple in virtually all decks made be half decent players. But so is Typhoon and Soul Charge in almost every deck out there. So is it that bad that it would be a staple? If your against staples, then we should just ban mst, upstart, soul charge, raigeki, dark hole, duality.
Some people may argue that pot of greed will boost exodia ftks, chicken game ftks, etc. and ruin the games. But these decks have been rampant without Pot of Greed and will continue doing so whether or not it stays been. Plus with pot of greed at 1 it will make the decks slightly more consistently and I rather them have Pot Of Greed so their turns are slightly quicker.

So to sum it up. I believe in today's gamestate Pot Of Greed will be a powerful but fair card to run at 1. It will boost not only tier 1 decks, but countless of tier 2 and lower decks so they can get to their power plays more often and help them compete against tier 1 decks. It also makes it so decks that don't have inherent pluses have some sort of plus 1 that doesn't risk their chances of winning or slow down their plays.

Controls time and space with the Ultimate power of Chaos Control

Last edited by lelouch lamperouge on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needed to get a spiffy)
Lelouch Lamperouge
Lelouch Lamperouge
The Legendary Fisherman

Magician Credits : 363

Character sheet
BountyBounty
NotorietyNotoriety
FameFame

Back to top Go down

Controversy: Pot of Greed at 1? Empty Re: Controversy: Pot of Greed at 1?

Post by Flip Flapper Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:53 am

this.... sounds like a good idea, i have thought for a long time pot of greed should come back
Flip Flapper
Flip Flapper
Warrior of Love and Justice

Magician Credits : 3768

Character sheet
BountyBounty0--
NotorietyNotoriety12001
FameFame000

Back to top Go down

Post by Khina Bree Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:32 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Isn't Lolnami very against degenerate cards nowadays? Pot of Greed is a no-cost, no-risk, Draw spell. It is, as you said, a free plus one. This is the same line of logic that banned Harpie's Feather Duster, and eventually Heavy Storm and Giant Trunade.

While I personally don't think Pot of Greed would necessarily "break" anything, I have to say that it is very unlikely to see it come back for those reasons.
Khina Bree
The Inkweaver
The Inkweaver

Magician Credits : 781

Character sheet
BountyBounty150--
NotorietyNotoriety15001
FameFame000

Back to top Go down

Post by Lelouch Lamperouge Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:31 am

How is pot of greed more degenerate than deneb a no cost plus one that allowed you to search for any tellarknight you need, Shadol lfusion that lets you plus like crazy, Scout that allowed you to search for any qli CARD, monolith that allows you to plus 2-3 every turn, or the whole Ba archetype that when you get dante onboard you get crazy amount of free pluses. All Pot of Greed will do is bring more consistency to lower tier decks to help them compete more.
Lelouch Lamperouge
Lelouch Lamperouge
The Legendary Fisherman

Character sheet
BountyBounty
NotorietyNotoriety
FameFame

Back to top Go down

Post by Khina Bree Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:09 am

In the sense that those examples all only apply to those specific decks/archetypes. Pot of Greed is a generic, no cost plus one that works in any deck.

Now, while I agree that Pot of Greed WOULD be good for low tier decks, it wouldn't be enough to help them when the higher tier decks already have all their plusses AND THEN get Pot of Greed added in.

Let's look at it from this perspective. The nation's economy is crap, so to fix it, let's give everyone a bunch of money. That way, the lower class now has more funds and can try to keep up with the upper class. It doesn't work, because now EVERYONE is still on even footing. Do you see?
Khina Bree
The Inkweaver
The Inkweaver

Character sheet
BountyBounty150--
NotorietyNotoriety15001
FameFame000

Back to top Go down

Post by StardoostLegend Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:20 am

I pretty much agree with this whole thing. Pot of greed compared to a lot of the newer cards today isn't as over powered. It would go great in pretty much any deck and as long as it is limited to 1 people won't abuse it.
StardoostLegend
StardoostLegend
Heraldic King

Magician Credits : 3282

Character sheet
BountyBounty0--
NotorietyNotoriety12101
FameFame000

http://the-heraldic-sword.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lelouch Lamperouge Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:23 am

Sketch, the Game Master wrote:

In the sense that those examples all only apply to those specific decks/archetypes. Pot of Greed is a generic, no cost plus one that works in any deck.

Now, while I agree that Pot of Greed WOULD be good for low tier decks, it wouldn't be enough to help them when the higher tier decks already have all their plusses AND THEN get Pot of Greed added in.

Let's look at it from this perspective. The nation's economy is crap, so to fix it, let's give everyone a bunch of money. That way, the lower class now has more funds and can try to keep up with the upper class. It doesn't work, because now EVERYONE is still on even footing. Do you see?

Because unbanning cards that would boost everyone's decks is the same as a government giving the entire nation's population millions of dollars. That comparasion is unfair because by that logic cards like raigeki, dark hole, mst, and soul charge should be banned since they help almost every deck like Pot of Geed would.
Lelouch Lamperouge
Lelouch Lamperouge
The Legendary Fisherman

Character sheet
BountyBounty
NotorietyNotoriety
FameFame

Back to top Go down

Post by HoennZach Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:23 am

All the examples you pointed you can all be stopped by common sets like fiendish/mst, and are all archtype specific whereas pot of greed can be splashed in any deck even if its tight on space because a 41 card deck w/ pot of greed is essentially a 39 card deck and a 42 card deck would be a 40 card deck... ok im cool with greed going to 1
HoennZach
HoennZach
Sharpened Snake

Magician Credits : 318

Character sheet
BountyBounty
NotorietyNotoriety
FameFame

Back to top Go down

Post by Lelouch Lamperouge Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 am

And all the examples i gave out plays are so common and searchable that its more difficult to draw mst/fiendish to stop them every more than once.
Lelouch Lamperouge
Lelouch Lamperouge
The Legendary Fisherman

Character sheet
BountyBounty
NotorietyNotoriety
FameFame

Back to top Go down

Post by Khina Bree Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:32 am

Sketch, the Game Master wrote:

Raigeki: In a time when destroying the opponent's board rewards them as much as it hurts them
Dark Hole: A card that destroys both sides, ergo, cost and risk.
Soul Charge: Massive costs for revives and no Battle Phase. Cost and Risk but easily spammable, hence its restriction.
MST: A Quick-Play S/T popper, but it cannot stop everything.

Pot of Greed: No cost, no risk, no requirements or stipulations.

Khina Bree
The Inkweaver
The Inkweaver

Character sheet
BountyBounty150--
NotorietyNotoriety15001
FameFame000

Back to top Go down

Post by Lelouch Lamperouge Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Even with pot of greed having no cost, at 1 in this gamestate won't break the game or be considered "overpowered" until people get over the fact that Pot of Greed is unbanned. All the topping decks plus like crazy and like you argued before they archetypal, but this makes it stronger than pot of greed. I rather have my opponent draw 2 random cards that may or may not boost their play, than my opponent add whatever card from their archetype they want that will boost their play at their whim. Is you asked me this a couple years ago i would agree pot of greed should be banned but in this Meta all the tier 1 decks plus like crazy where as most of the lower tier decks have no inherent pluses and deserve atleast one card that would allow them to actually plus instead of staying even/negging every time they make a play.
Lelouch Lamperouge
Lelouch Lamperouge
The Legendary Fisherman

Character sheet
BountyBounty
NotorietyNotoriety
FameFame

Back to top Go down

Post by Khina Bree Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Great, so let's let them search and search and search and THEN give them free draws.
Khina Bree
The Inkweaver
The Inkweaver

Character sheet
BountyBounty150--
NotorietyNotoriety15001
FameFame000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down