Magic Arts Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Top posting users this month
No user

Affiliates

Darkness Flame Academy

Unotitalius

BWDA

Relax Zone

free forum

Sky girls episode 1 opinions

Go down

Sky girls episode 1 opinions Empty Sky girls episode 1 opinions

Post by Flip Flapper Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:04 pm

well before i get talking bout the episode lemme explain a bit, first of all i decided to write down my thoughts about the episodes here after each episode as this is the 2nd (3rd if counting code geass) mech anime i watch
why did i decide to watch it? well i got it recomended and told to me that it was kinda like a cross of evangelion (wich is one of my top 3 anime of all time) and some anime i have never heard about called strike witches, i am going in almsot blind about the show and have only gathered basic intel like it being based of a crappy OVA and some character name´s and such

ok lets get started!
so the first thing that we see is a preety bland and boring narration by what i can only pressume is the news anchor guy becuse of how calm he is about a war with some creatures called ange...- i mean WORMs (war of raid machines, i am as confused as you are by that name) that conveniently wiped out 90% of the adult male population (not female and not non adults and really old people) wich is preety important i assume (they were killing others to but mostly men died) most of the world is under water, you know the usual

so we follow Otoha for this episode mostly (the protagonist) she lives in a tiny village on a small island in her grandpa´s kendo dojo with her mom and grandpa (her father seems to have been in the army and died as implied by a shot of a picture of her dad in a pilot uniform) Otoha has a fascination with planes becuse she thinks id be great if she could fly some time
she helps out getting resources from under the sea every now and then (remember that everything is flooded?) and after getting back with that for today she hurries home to go to kendo practice (there are also 2 military members going around in the village becuse they have found a canditate to pilot their mechs, and yes they are not called mechs like in everything else, they are called sonic drivers here, but i call them mechs becuse that is what they are, wonder who that canditate is hmm..... *wink wink*)
anyway upon getting back its revealed her grandpa is a bit of a dick as he is pissed of at her being late despite the reason being that she was collecting resources, altough he is revealed to be a lot nicer after they have sparred saying that she has improved a lot and confirming that he will let her inherit the dojo

and due to perfect timing as soon as she has left the house to watch the sunset the military peopel arrive to talk about the important stuff, grandpa doesnt like it becuse his son died serving them and its also revealed Otoha had a younger brother called Yuki who wanted to be a pilot (and it seems like that is why she wants to, cant girls just have motives that are not related to a male character? i mean really think about it a lot fo badass women in media are doing what they do becuse of reasons related to a male character, well i think it does work in this instance somewhat but still)
so one of the military people talk to her and say exactly the right words to convince her essentially "Do you want to fly?" and such things, its like she could read Otoha´s mind, im calling it the glasses military girl is a manipulative bitch! (i kinda hope i am right here)
of course she accepts we see some of the other pilots (and regular pilots) and such, get some character building etc.

grandpa only lets Otoha go if she can land a single hit on him in kendo, something she has failed to her entire life, she suceedes (grandpa allowed it becuse he thought her will was good)

Final Thoughts
* Despite what it may seem i really liked this episode a lot, the story so far is... meh but the characters have only been shown a little and i already think they are suprisingly good, i love the relationship between Otoha and her grandpa and think it was handled really well, grandpa is still kind of a dick though
* The world itself seem preety interesting even if it isnt very new it is at least more uncomon then seeing a wasteland
* The world is very similar to evangelion i nthe water thing and all
* Kinda suprised we only saw one mech in this episode and that one was piloted by an unknown person
* Opening is cheezy as hell but its decent
* Ending is actually good unlike many anime
* Animation looks good
* I am actually hyped to watch more, i may or may not do posts like these for the other episodes and if i find the rest of the show good i will probably make a post recomending it

So far i think it is good, the first episode did what it shold introduce us to the world and characters wich it did a great job at, aside from some problems that i have adressed earlier i do genuinly think it looks good so far (the name of the show is really bland though)
Flip Flapper
Flip Flapper
Warrior of Love and Justice

Magician Credits : 3768

Character sheet
BountyBounty0--
NotorietyNotoriety12001
FameFame000

Back to top Go down