Magic Arts Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Top posting users this month
No user

Affiliates

Darkness Flame Academy

Unotitalius

BWDA

Relax Zone

free forum

Eternity, Chapter II- Burkhart, the Castle Strong

Go down

Eternity, Chapter II- Burkhart, the Castle Strong Empty Eternity, Chapter II- Burkhart, the Castle Strong

Post by StardoostLegend Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:22 pm

He (the beast) slid across the ground to a coming halt as he confronted me. I took out a pocket knife from my pocket, I had brought it as one of my supplies. If I couldn’t run, I needed to be able to defend myself anyway I can.

I held the knife in my right hand, the sharp blade pointed toward him. My hand and arm were trembling as I grip the knife handle. He pointed his own, larger armor blades toward me. I slowly backed up, but not too close to the ledge.

“L-look, I d-don’t wanna hurt you.” I threatened, as if I could even hurt him. He responded with a simple growl of anger.

“Can’t w-we just work something out, I mean we c-can just-“ he interrupted me by charging at me to attack, I was pushed onto the ground as he pounced on me. I was pinned down by his shear weight, still gripping the knife, I couldn’t move. He raised his paw to slice, but suddenly, his other paw had slipped off the ledge, and started to slide off. His entire weight was crushed onto me as he started to topple down, he was about to fall. I dropped my knife and without thinking grabbed one of his legs before he could drop off the cliff so he wouldn’t fall.

I got out from under, still grasping his leg and got up from under him. I tried to pull him out but his shear weight was too much, I was being dragged down along with him. I tried to dig my feet into the ground and pull with my strength, when suddenly he used his other back leg to do the same and pull himself up from the cliff. With both of our strength we were able to pull him out of the ledge and into safety. We were both completely exhausted after this, trying to catch our breaths as we try to relax. For a moment I almost forgot about what had happened before all this, meanwhile he gave me a strange stare.

“You… you, saved me.” He said, still breathing heavily. “Why… why did you help me? I was going to KILL you.”

“I… I don’t…” even I was baffled. I didn’t really think about it, I wasn’t even thinking when I was doing all of this. It was just an act without thought. Was it compassion? Was it for science or for research? Maybe something else? Whatever it was, I needed to continue on with what I came here for. Maybe now I can get some questions answered by him. I had gotten my camera out without him noticing and took a few pictures of him, he seemed to be unaware as he stared off into the distance. I got out my notebook and pen and got ready to write.

“So um… with, this chase and, stuff. I never, really… um, got your name? What is it, if you have one?” I asked.

“…Burkhart.” He answered with a mean glare. I started writing when he interrupted me.

“Look, if you came here looking for something, it’s not here. Infact, there IS nothing here, so you should just leave.” He stated and walked away as I started writing.

“H-hey! Wait up!” I said. I folled him as I jotted some notes down into my notebook:

Day 1,

What seems to have been an empty, dead forest seems to be inhabited with fascinating and sophisticated life, beyond anything within our scientific understanding. I’ve found what seems to be one of the mythical guardian beasts that the legends have spoke of. His name, “Burkhart”. This could mean that these legends, so out-right ridiculous, could just be true.

I looked up to see that he was walking away past me, I ran up to catch up as I finished my entry. I walked by his side as he tried to ignore me and continue walking on his path. He turned to me and scuffed.

“Didn’t you hear me? I told you to LEAVE. What are you trying to get out of your stay!?” Burkhart said resentfully.

“I know, it’s just…” I had a wide smile as I spoke. Just the thought of talking to such a creature was mind-blowing.

“It’s just WHAT, exactly?” Burkhart questioned.

“I-I mean, it’s j-just that… you’re… um…” I didn’t know how to say this, I stuttered as I tried to collect my thoughts. “Well… y-you, can… talk.” I finished my statement.

“Yes, yes, of course I can talk. I’ve been around for over 1000 years, I’ve grown accustom to your, HUMAN language.” He said.

“I-I’m sorry, you’ve been alive for a thousand years?!” I replied. As if this couldn’t get any stranger.

“OVER, a thousand years. As in more than a thousand.” He corrected me.

“Well I was, just wondering, i-if you can answer some questions about yourself and about thi-“
“ I already told you. There is nothing here, and I wouldn’t tell you anyway.” I interrupted. He started to walk past me again and tried to ignore me again. I ran up to catch up to him again.

“Hey! Come no just a few questions to answer-“

“No.” Burkhart answered sternly. He continued to be uncooperative with me, but I needed to get something out of this, especially if it is from something as amazing as a talking beast.

“Now if you will excuse me, I will be on my way to my home.” He continued to try to walk past me.

“Burkhart! Please just talk to me!” I continued to beg to him.

“No.” he stated simply, continuing to refuse. I ran up and tried to pull him back, but he effortlessly continued his walk as I struggled to drag him back, he eventually shook me off and I tumbled to the ground. I just kept walking beside him.

“You really are the stubborn one, aren’t you?” Burkhart said.

“Look, I just saved your life, can’t you just return the favor with a simple chat or conversation, and maybe just a few answers?” I pleaded.

“You did save my life, and as reward I chose to turn the other cheek and forget the fact that you trespassed here, and not slice you to bloody bits. How does that sound?” He said with a small grin, before reverting back to his cold, resentful expression.

I ran up in front of him in an attempt to block his path and get his attention.

“Look, all I want is to have a few of my questioned answered and know a little bit about you, is that too much to ask?” I asked.

“First of all, I am not obliged to talk to you or answer your questions whatsoever. Second, why should I help an outsider like YOU. Part of the reason I live in a barren land is to avoid contact with outsiders, especially YOUR kind. It is bad enough that I was saved by a mere human, and now you want more? You’re no different than anyone else who has come here.” He stated.
“See? We’re making progress, your telling me things about yourself.” I said in an attempt to lighten the mood, it seemed to have done the opposite.

“Go, away.” He demanded scuffing at me once more before walking up ahead. I once again returned to his side to walk by him.

“You seem to have persistence. That attitude will do you good ELSEWHERE.” He stated. For the rest of the walk, it was pretty much silence, I tried to make some attempts at conversation during the walk but Burkhart just ignored me and didn’t even seem to acknowledge my presence anymore. We just walked together as Burkhart made is way. We went up a hill with the same dead trees everywhere, when suddenly, we reached a cavern, with a metal hinged wooden door. This must’ve been Burkhart’s house. Burkhart walked up to the door and looked back.

“Well, that was… tedious. Now, it’s, time for you to leave.” He said. He opened the door with his tail.

“I, uh, hope you enjoyed your stay, so please forget this ever happened. And um… never come back-“ immediately after he said that he slammed the door shut on me.

“Hey, wait!” I ran up to the door and tried to open it, but it was no use. The door wasn’t locked but it didn’t have any sort of doorknob or lock mechanism, it was almost impossible to open or close. I tried to desperately bang on it to get Burkhart’s attention.

“Come on! Open up, I just want to talk!” I begged through the door. There was no response. I eventually tried to open it by prying my fingers through the door crack and open it manually. I was able to open the door up enough to have a small gap, I slid my foot in the game to prevent it from closing again and opened it up.

Inside the cave it seemed to have multiple rooms, and the walls were decently carved, this wasn’t a naturally made cave. It had wooden carved furniture of the same wood from the dead trees in the forest. Burkhart was lying on the ground when he turned to look at me once I opened the door.

“Don’t you know anything about manners, girl? Do you just barge into people’s homes uninvited?” Burkhart said with disgust in his tone.

“Look, I’m sorry it’s just that I-“ I started to speak when I saw something on his front-left arm, it looked like his fur was tainted red. I walked a little closer to get a better look. I then realized what was on his arm.

“O-oh my, are you bleeding?” I asked. “I’m sorry, you must’ve gotten cut by something during the whole chase and when you jumped on me.”

“I’m… I’m fine, just leave me alone.” Burkhart insisted. Despite what he said he was clearly wincing in pain at the cut and I could see blood seaping out.

“Hey, I-I can help. I’ve brought a first aid kid and medical tape with me.” I told Burkhart.

“I already told you, I’m FINE. I don’t need your help.” He still refused my offer. Meanwhile however, I had already gotten out the first aid supplies from my bag.

“Alright, I got it!” I exclaimed as I pulled out the kit. “Here, this’ll help it heal and ease the pain.” But as soon as I approached him he contracted back and covered his wound.

“Look. I don’t WANT your help, I don’t want anything to do with YOU. I’ve already told you that I’m fine, and you need to know when to STOP. Why are you so resilient about this!?!?” Burkhart yelled furiously. He turned his back on me and laid down, covering the cut. There was a small moment of silence after that.

I went on to approach him carefully and tapped him lightly to get is attention. He simply turned around and gave me another glare of hate.

“Look… Burkhart…” I said calmly. “it was my fault that you almost died and that you got injured in the first place… I, I should’ve left when you told me to. I understand if you want me to leave and don’t want nothing to do with me. But please, let me fix what I caused.”

As soon as I said that Burkhart’s eyes widened and he looked at me in a surprised way. He then turned back to ponder about something, he was thinking deeply for some reason. Afterwards, it seemed that I have reached out to Burkhart and he seems to have a small change of heart. He slowly revealed and showed the cut to me. He still gave me an untrusting glare, but I think he was starting to open up to me.

I carefully started to treat the the cut. I cleaned off the blood with a wet cloth, pressed down on the cut with some medical tissue and slowly wrapped it up with some bandage tape. When I was done he lifted his arm up to see and gently stroked the bandage with his other paw looking down at it.

“D-does that, um… feel better?” I asked nervously.

“Much.” He simply replied. He turned his head up to look at me before looking back down at the bandages. The room was so quiet for a while that I could hear the hushed drizzling of rain coming from outside. We were completely silent, I just stood there and he just kept laying down.

“I… um,” I interrupted the long pause of awkward silence. “I suppose I should be going now, I’ll leave you alone now.” I turned around and walked toward the door and gently opened it. “Sorry for causing you some trouble.”

“W-wait!” Burkhart called out to me before I exited. I turned around to and stopped walking.

“Maybe… I, was being a little too… harsh, when attacking you… It’s clear that you don’t have any harmful intentions or motives. A-and after all a storm seems to be rolling in, I suppose you could… stay for a few nights…” he meekly offered.

“O-okay.” I said calmly, in the inside I was excited that Burkhart was allowing me to stay. Maybe I could finally get some answers and get to know him better. I tried to hide my excitement in respect to him, and simply had a small smile.

“And just so you know, I’m only doing this to return the favor for helping me. Don’t think that you can get on my nice side THAT easily.” Burkhart continued to try to keep boundaries with me. It was clear that if I wanted to be friends with him, or at the very least get some answers out of him, I’d have to do it slowly. When Burkhart wasn’t looking I pulled out a tape recorder and started recording. Hopefully Burkhart wouldn’t think anything of it.

“So why exactly did you try to attack me?” I questioned.

“Still wanting to get some answers huh?” Burkhart replied.

“It’s why I came here in the first place.” I stated.

“Well if it’ll get you to leave faster, then fine. I’ll answer your questions.”

“Great!” I exclaimed. I made sure that the tape recorder could get Burkhart’s speech clearly before he started talking.

“If you really want to know my motives and background, we’ll have to start from the beginning. One thousand years ago, this land was once a paradise. Life and color in every direction, our kind where that of mythical and magical creatures of the forest. We lived peacefully and happily with absolute satisfaction in our hearts, and we treated each other like brethren. A near perfect community and society, with me as one of its protectors. This world created me to guard this forest with my life. As guardian, I was given the gift of living eternally, and in return, I pledge my allegiance to the forest. My solemn duty was to protect this forest and those who inhabit it. But, the forest was in total peace, we had nothing to fear at the moment. But one day… we had lost all of what we had worked so hard for. We never saw it coming. To think in a mere few moments, what took years to create, could be brought down to ash and ruin in mere moments. Not even we as guardians could stop it. I had failed my duties, and now, I am forced to live with that fact until the end of time.”

The entire room fell silent, the very impact of what he had just said just shocked me.

“What exactly happened?” I asked. Burkhart wouldn’t even look at me, he just stared at the ground silently.

“Burkhart?” I asked again, he looked up at me with a serious expression. “What had happened?!”

“…it was the attack of the human tribes.” He said. My heart just sank as soon as he uttered those last two words.

“They took everything for themselves, out of selfishness and greed. Destroying the plants and trees that could never be brought back, and they didn’t even have regret in their eyes.” Burkhart continued.

“B-Burkhart, if you think that I w-would do anything to harm this forest your wrong.” I stated. “I’ve spent my whole life studying wildlife and biology to help learn more about nature and to protect it. I even-“
“It doesn’t matter.” Burkhart interrupted. “I’ve seen it all too many times. Humans have done so much irreversible damage to this world. Whether it’s for power, or greed, or anger; they’ve already destroyed so much. You may have good intentions within your heart, but the damage has already been done. Your people can never fix this, no matter how much they want to.”

“Burkhart, listen to me.” I continued to reason with him. “There IS something we can do! Humans have changed over the last 1000 years, we’re realizing our mistakes. We’re working to help the environment and we’ve found ways to bring back extinct plants a-and we’re working to plant more trees and gardens!” As I kept talking, Burkhart listened intently, but still didn’t seem convinced.

“Look, I work for an organization that is working to help environment. If you come with me we could restore this forest, I have the funds to help bring back these plants, our people could co-exist peacefully!”

“How can you be so sure of this!? How can I even trust that you truly want to save this forest instead of taking what’s left for YOURSELF.” Burkhart questioned furiously. I thought a little bit about it, thinking about how I could convince Burkhart. He just stared at me, as if he was looking through me once more.

“If I didn’t want to help you, I wouldn’t have saved you or even try to talk to you.” I answered. Burkhart looked away from me for a bit.

“Do you really think you can transform this world? You are only a single person.” Burkhart asked.

“Only if you open up to me will you find out.” I answered. Burkhart thought long and heard about this, I could tell in his mind that he was torn about what to do. He finally looked back at me and spoke.

“…I still do not trust you,” Burkhart stated. I started to lose my hope of research and helping this place, Burkhart still was rejecting me. I turned around and started to get up.

“BUT.” Burkhart continued. I didn’t know what Burkhart was going to do but I turned around to listen to what he had to say. “Perhaps, we could make an agreement.” He offered with a grin on his face.

“Alright, I’m listening.” I responded with a curious tone.

“If you came here to learn more about this forest and its history, I’ll give you the answers that you’ve been seeking.” He said. “However, in order to receive my knowledge, you must follow my direction and orders.” He started to list his conditions.

“1, you are not to wander this place without me. I will be your guide into the forest. If I find that you are snooping around without me than this little agreement is over. 2, if I am going to be trusting your word, you must also be trusting mine. You are to trust what I say without the slightest doubt. If what you claim is true, then you will have no problem agreeing to this, will you not?” He had this suspicious grin and expression on him. Something told me that there was more to this.

“How do I know you’re not going to lie to me?” I questioned with suspicion.

“How do I know YOU’RE not going to lie to me? If you’re telling the truth about his ‘organization’ and your motives, than why would I need to lie? And if you trust what I’M saying about this forest and my motives, why would YOU need to lie? Accepting this agreement will show that we both trust each other and it will test that very trust.” Burkhart explained. I thought about what he said for a moment, and he was right. He needed to trust me, and I needed to trust him in order for this to work.

“Fair enough.” I stated. “It’s a deal! Shall we shake on it?” I asked. Burkhart looked at me confused.

“Shake on what?” Burkhart questioned. I looked at him confused as well until I remembered that he wasn’t familiar with human culture.

“Oh, it’s a human tradition. It means that we both agree on a deal. Here, hold out your paw.” I said. Burkhart held it out, I went to grab it and I shook it. He still seemed slightly confused.

“I never understood human practice…” Burkhart stated. “We shall begin this tomorrow, for now, just make yourself at home.” Burkhart said. “Oh, and don’t think that I’ve let my guard down-“ He swiftly pointed one of his blades towards me. “I’ll be watching you.” He said menacingly.

StardoostLegend
StardoostLegend
Heraldic King

Magician Credits : 3282

Character sheet
BountyBounty0--
NotorietyNotoriety12101
FameFame000

http://the-heraldic-sword.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down