Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Yuuki Yuna Reviews Magic Arts Duel Academy!

Hello! I'm Yuuki Yuna, and as of whenever I start writing this, I decided that if I feel bored because I don't want to A. Play Overwatch B. Play ranked Devpro or C. fuck around in Starbound or some other game like Civ 5, so I'm going to write a review for an academy.

Now, you might be asking, "Who the fuck is this guy to go around criticizing our home?" And that's a valid point, I did just sorta show up out of nowhere and as you are probably seeing, criticizing things. But I also want to bring up another valid point: Academies will die (for those that get revived, the dead stay dead, meaning they will eventually die shortly after their revival), and new ones will always be created. I've experienced tons of academies, I've even run an academy for myself. I know what makes a good one and what makes a bad one. Now, MADA is a special case to me, because most academies that are not DA usually don't survive for 2 years, or even a year. They die off rather quickly. So, I'm moreso going to be asking why that is the case.


Appearance 7/10
Well, I'm helping ywall out with a new head banner, mostly because I sorta barganed my way to do it, but I wanna clear up a misconception. A lot of people think that you have to have forum graphics. And I disagree, you don't have to. If you chose to, they should be professionally done and good. But if they are poorly done, not only do they increase the site's loading times, but also they make the site look unatractive, thus they may turn away potential users. Also a recomended size is 300x100 max.

As for the forum skin, you can only do so much with forumotion. And it works, though I think the navbar is out of place. It's a fairly decent skin that looks ok. If you really wanted a really cool, awesome skin like something DA has, you have to have the CSS and HTML knowledge to make it yourself, as well as know how to edit templates and know what you are doing. And you need the founder account to edit templates. Also maybe the beginning of every new year, you can chose a new skin or something. Or if you have someone who has the knowledge that I described is needed, have someone work on a new skin. And I know you are going for simple, but you should have something that looks nice and is simple.

As for forum categories, they look fine, though I will say that I think Art, Music, Tv, Manga, and Anime can all just be combined. Same thing with art shops and MADA shops, Art shop topics can just be put under MADA shops. If you are worried about users being confused, just require that shops must be tagged like having the tag [GFX] or [DEK] in them.

Also, I'm starting to think that requiring a forum for a dorm in an academy has no purpose besides aesthetics. People used to think that people would post their dorm room in the dorms and people would comment on it and stuff, but that only happens on DA. Yet again, DA is okay with spam to a degree. Like people shitpost on DA all the time in threads, and dorms is just the main place they do it in. Having the dorms there though do make it a good place to have Homework being placed, so I guess it's conveniant for that.

Also, another thing to note is that having this (http://i.imgur.com/AwLdmeU.png) just sorta look awkwardly placed (not to mention you don't really need to add admins to that since they already have moderation rights over every forum, and they have the pannel). Fixing this is simple, all that is required is to go into the ACP ---> Display ---> Homepage ---> Structure and hierarchy find the option where it says " Display forum moderators" and turn that yes into a no.

Also, if you're seeing this, feel free to use the table coding I am using for this post for any offical post. Like the rules! I can even tell ya how to configure it into the CSS so that when you are using the table code, it's a lot less shorter.

Another thing I want to add is that the affiliates widget looks very cluttered. And I have a code if you are interested that places the affiliates at the bottom of the page. So let me know if you want that.

Also, if you aren't going to update card of the month, don't do card of the month. It makes you look lazy if you just aren't going to update the widget.

Anyhow, if you want feedback on your forum's appearance, just ask for a review on the forumotion support forums, and they will kindly help ya out with that for sure (because I know there are somethings that they cover that I don't cover). But in the end, the forum just looks a bit above average. The Head banner that I made is nice and probably looks a lot better then the current (subjective but ok), the forum's skin is decent, the lack of GFX actually helps the forum, and there really isn't anything that stands out about the forum's appearance..

Staff and Usergroups 6/10
Usually this was just how the staff did their job, but I also critqued on the usergroups themselves, so I am going to add to this. Too many usergroups can make it seem like usergroups in general are pointless. And I can really point out 2 that I seem don't really need to be needed: Affiliates and War Commanders.

Starting with affiliates first, newer members (or generally anyone that really isn't an affiliate) won't care. You're just making them special for the sake of making them special. No point really to their purpose besides that.

When it comes to War Commanders, you only have 2 of them. I don't see them that often, but if you're only going to have 2 of them, it could be better to list them in a post saying that these are the guys that are in-charge of the war team (plus, are there any other academies around to war anyways? If they exist, they are probably really small and dieing out soon). I mean you could go have them war devpro teams but good luck with that. I know DA used to have their war team war DNF teams when DN was a thing.

Besides that, we got our standard Professors, Mods, and Admins. And with those 3 alone plus dorms you have the perfect amount of staff groups required, not to mention the perfect number of which you should keep, which is 3 admins, 3 mods, and 3 professors (Not counting Jackachu, in a since, I'm sorta treating it like a hierarchy. People who are mods also have the responsibilities of a professor, and people who are admins also have the responsibilities of mods and professors). However, since MADA is pretty big and active (or gets even bigger), you can definitely increase the number slowly but not durasticly.

However as of recently, when it comes to the professors, I'm not seeing the actual professors post lessons articles or homeworks from the professors themselves. I check the articles forum, and I see Stardog's name everywhere. So yeah, there's that. I also want to add that DA doesn't even do lessons anymore, and I don't see that many articles on DA, they mostly focus on doing tournaments. So if the learning aspect of YGO is going to be one of the main things that attract people to the forum, then you have to stay with it. I'll get into this more later.

When it comes to the moderators, I can write a whole essay on this. Coming from a background where this was all I did, I have so much to say, but I just cannot simply cover it all quickly. So I'm not going to, because I tell things like this all of the time, and they don't get it. And these are the same mistakes I will see at a lot of places. And they exist here (though here, it's not as bad as other places I have seen purely based on the fact that I could probably apply to any place that allows me to apply for admin and/or mod and get the position). Maybe this is an essay I'll write in the future, but for now, I won't give feedback on it. Commenting on things like these also don't attract the best response from people, and I rather not be banned anytime soon.

Also for the admins, or the "big 3" as they are called, they are doing just fine. I don't know what each exact individual admin is doing, but I know that they are creating the content that needs to be created to attempt to keep their members on their forum (Pokemon tournaments, and another yugioh tournament going on on the side). So they understand that which is good. I'd say they're good admins when it comes to knowing what to do, but this is something that an outsider like me can't judge off of 4 days of watching MADA.

Content 1/10
Let me explain what I mean by content. I am refering to the things that makes the members of the academy want to stay, and/or rather gives them something to do. This could be from duels for currency, tournaments, lessons, to dice games and roleplays (btw, I'm mostly going to refer to Yugioh related content). And I'd say that ywall are lacking in this department. I am only see tournaments, but they're old tournaments, so if someone new wanted to join in on one of them, they couldn't cause they're still in-progress. You should be having weekly tournaments with 8 participants. No more, no less. 4 tournaments a month at max, and 1 event a month at max.

I know that MADA has had an on-going event, but it's not happening anymore. And on-going events help to make sure that your members have something to do. Not to mention even though that I can get currency by dueling, I see no reason to do that. And if say you have your glow and everything you want, there is no reason to keep on trying to get more currency.

And to add to this, you get to chose the dorm you are in. Very creative. In fact I've only seen one small academy try the system out and that died because the admin team was torn to pieces. However, I have one major problems with the system: You aren't doing anything with it. Becuase you aren't doing anything with it, it's sorta just like "You get to chose your dorm? So what?" The testing system had the motivation that if you got a low test score the first time, you could always buy your re-test and try again. The rank up system always had the motivation of just doing dueling things to rank up (or in DA's case, even a ladder). What's the motivation for joining a dorm? If anything, it's only purpose is aesthetics and you could just delete those four usergroups in general.

For roleplays, I recomend not doing them. Want a roleplay? Go to the a roleplay forum. You'll get a lot higher quality roleplaying. I have never seen RPing being good on academies (Satellar DA/AKA is an exception to this, because that community is mostly rpers that are veterans or are above average and are surrownded by veterans).

Dice games are also a fun way to get currency as well and also incourage users to keep on posting. If no one is posting, the forum looks dead. And as for the lessons, I covered this with the professors, if the lessons don't exist, I can't judge. Though I know Jackachu from pervious places, so I can safely say that the lessons are decent.


Everything Else
Appearance, Staff, and Content are sorta the essentials, so now I'm sorta just giving advice to other things that don't really fit with everything else. For example, code. When it comes to cool coding things, this acad has some cool codes. When I found out that ywall had a snake game, I thought "hey, that's actually kinda cool." Not to mention that I contributed profile songs (though last time I checked Stardog's profile, it's a white box. Dude, I WILL help you get the code working, cause I gave you the same strip of code on AKA and it's working fine there) so SPOILER ALERT, that's new. But if you have all that you want while knowing that there is more out there you can have, then that's fine.

Here are some suggestions for decreasing your site's loading times. 1. Disable the chatbox on the main page. You have a pop-up one, so you should be fine. Personally though I prefer the pop-up chatbox on the toolbar, because I find the toolbar to be really useful for watching threads that I care about, but that's just me. 2. Get rid of the glows. They're fun, but they increase the page's loading times. And every second counts. But of course, not everyone want's to sacrafice their fancy name effects for making their site look better + increase the page's loading times.

As much as I love discord, I do not recommend having a 3rd party program to chat. This being you are detracting activity away from the home of the academy, AKA the forum. You want people to be on the forum, so why are you trying to get people to not be on the forum and be on a 3rd party program instead?

Also, if you have a magician themed forum, you should make your dorms match with the theme as well. Right now the dorm names just seem really out of place. Be creative though, you don't have to end with "Dorm" at the end of the usergroup. Take an example out of Harry Potter for instance. They named their dorms right, you can figure out something cool for your dorms as well.


So why is MADA still alive after 2 years?
The answer I have come up with is that MADA has a strong community that is extremely loyal to the forum. The fact that the community is so tight together, that I even end up feeling excluded because of it. In a since, a lot of the members aren't welcoming of the new ones, not because they act hostile towards them but rather I can see newer members having a hard time fitting in and making friends. And a strong community like this will go away, so cherish it while you have it. And while you do that, make sure they stay by giving them things to do. And if this is done and done consistantly, and the staff never get's lazy or gives up, then MADA will last for a long time.

I'll probably still be around, so within a month from now, I'll do another one. If you have any questions or things you want me to address, post down below and I will address it.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Albedo on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Nice, in fact not a bad review. I agree with most of it. Understanding this place is long standing and as a community alot has happened. I hope it doesn't seem unwelcoming. Most people tend to misjudge it for that. MADA is a family of sorts by signing up you become part of it. I try to drag people into conversations a lot, including new members, however its hard when they do not want to respond, at that point I tend to move about my own business. Quite understood however, I believe its the way the community wants it. The dorms are not really so much dorms as they are a selection of groups that a user can choose from. The discord just came back up, its simply an option but most don't use it. Loading of the chatbox on the index doesn't really make the scripts load slow, excessive glows do though, that I can agree with. As much as glows are fun perhaps limiting them to staff would not be such a bad idea. As MADA has a lot of content to hold and the site is not paid for at the moment to hold so much information. You have to understand that from the point of DN's fall MADA is more of a gaming forum. Pokemon Stuff etc. MADA's name is well known and very well indexed in google. It has stayed up this long because of its members and dedicated staff team and advocates. As of now my own personal thing, I feel the professor and war commander ranks are considered "dead positions." I understand where you are coming from with the its an academy thing, times are hard, yugioh within academies is all but dead its not like how popular it was 3-9 years ago. The first couple months DA opened its doors and the flood of places that followed afterwards. So this is the way it has been adapting. Any admin can correct me if I am wrong on anything I am saying. I am quite certain this is the truth, among more personal reasons that I will not mention in this post. Again, I do want to acknowledge that you did a good job on the review and it is not easy to say everything you said in front of a large group of people. I do not want to discredit your words as what I have said is simply a response with agreement and some informative information.

-Legionheart

_________________
Moderator
Mistress of Nazarick
avatar
Albedo

Posts : 122
Magician Credits : 281
Age : 22
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Great Tomb of Nazarick

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety000
Fame000

http://www.thegamestand.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Legionheart wrote:Understanding this place is long standing and as a community alot has happened. I hope it doesn't seem unwelcoming. Most people tend to misjudge it for that. MADA is a family of sorts by signing up you become part of it. I try to drag people into conversations a lot, including new members, however its hard when they do not want to respond, at that point I tend to move about my own business. Quite understood however, I believe its the way the community wants it.
But that doesn't mean that's a good thing. This was the same case with Satellar DA/AKA, and what happened with that is it moved onto a Skype chat. When everyone moves onto a Skype chat, what's the reason to use the forum chat?

Legionheart wrote:The dorms are not really so much dorms as they are a selection of groups that a user can choose from.
My point still stands that they can do something with this selection of groups. It doesn't matter what they are, dorms, houses, groups, you can still make an on-going event that abuses this and makes people care about this while give your members something to do.

Legionheart wrote:The discord just came back up, its simply an option but most don't use it.
When everyone uses it, it becomes a problem. So the way I see it, I would want to prevent a problem to exist, but that's just me. For example, DA does mafia games, but the head admin, Anzo, said that he doesn't want an outside source being used for mafia games. It makes sense because he's trying to keep activity on his forum.

Legionheart wrote:As much as glows are fun perhaps limiting them to staff would not be such a bad idea. As MADA has a lot of content to hold and the site is not paid for at the moment to hold so much information.
I actually haven't thought about the fact you can pay to have the site hold more information. I completely forgot this was a thing to be honest XD.

Legionheart wrote:You have to understand that from the point of DN's fall MADA is more of a gaming forum. Pokemon Stuff etc. MADA's name is well known and very well indexed in google. It has stayed up this long because of its members and dedicated staff team and advocates.
Then I think it should be structured as such. Turning the academy idea into something that works for a game like Pokemon could be quite interesting.

Legionheart wrote:As of now my own personal thing, I feel the professor and war commander ranks are considered "dead positions." I understand where you are coming from with the its an academy thing, times are hard, yugioh within academies is all but dead its not like how popular it was 3-9 years ago. The first couple months DA opened its doors and the flood of places that followed afterwards. So this is the way it has been adapting. Any admin can correct me if I am wrong on anything I am saying. I am quite certain this is the truth, among more personal reasons that I will not mention in this post. Again, I do want to acknowledge that you did a good job on the review and it is not easy to say everything you said in front of a large group of people. I do not want to discredit your words as what I have said is simply a response with agreement and some informative information.
You're absolutely right, but I'm sorta greedy, let me explain how. I am greedy in that I will do anything reasonable to want to be able to see that there is an academy that can compare to DA. And rival it. And that is going to be hard to do. DA just recently added forums for other games, and they've been doing mostly YGO for since they opened their doors I believe. I remember when Resurrection DA was very popular, and that fell because the staff got lazy. If they didn't, they could have probably kept it alive for a long time, maybe even up to today.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Albedo on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:51 am

"But that doesn't mean that's a good thing. This was the same case with Satellar DA/AKA, and what happened with that is it moved onto a Skype chat. When everyone moves onto a Skype chat, what's the reason to use the forum chat?"
the forum chat doesn't have voice I guess, though to be honest I see it more for voice than for typing. While I see what your saying, here is the thing, because something does not work for one place doesn't mean it would not work for someplace else. Also, please don't compare to DA as it was the first academy clearly they are doing something right or Anzo's predecessors were. But MADA is has almost always held 2nd under DA on the ranking list. Comparing to how DA does their stuff, why should MADA copy and imitate something its not. I don't think your going to get yugioh rival here as many people don't play the game much anymore. And now class time...

-Legionheart

_________________
Moderator
Mistress of Nazarick
avatar
Albedo

Posts : 122
Magician Credits : 281
Age : 22
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Great Tomb of Nazarick

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety000
Fame000

http://www.thegamestand.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Lord Beerus on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:20 am

Legionheart wrote: Also, please don't compare to DA as it was the first academy clearly they are doing something right or Anzo's predecessors were. But MADA is has almost always held 2nd under DA on the ranking list. Comparing to how DA does their stuff, why should MADA copy and imitate something its not. I don't think your going to get yugioh rival here as many people don't play the game much anymore.

I agree with legion on this one. Like why have the need to Imitate something that MADA is not? MADA is one of the most unique Duel Academies to ever come into existence and the way they have evolved makes this place the best damn forum to ever chill and relax on. This Place Has been 2nd To DA for a while now so I guess the staff have been doing the right thing for it to stay that way for so long.

- Yukio Okumura

_________________

Codes Of Conduct|MADA Discord|TCZ Discord

avatar
Lord Beerus
MADA's Dragon Enthusiast

Posts : 947
Magician Credits : 197
Age : 17
Join date : 2015-03-21

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety000
Fame41221

http://gaminghub.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Khina Bree on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:28 am

Events take a constant upkeep, as well as incentives to keep people interested. Usually that's MC, but as you may not know...MC has very little meaning and use here. There isn't much point behind it, and with no point in the main incentive, no one cares enough to keep events alive.

This is also the issue with Lottery and Dice games. You win....currency. and then what?

This forum was founded as a Yugioh fansite, and likely will remain so. Including other games in discussion and topics is one thing but trying to revamp an entire forum so it no longer focuses primarily on its original purpose? Sorry but no.

(Adding more after work)

Khina Bree
The Inkweaver
The Inkweaver

Posts : 2543
Magician Credits : 781
Age : 28
Join date : 2015-02-20

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty150--
Notoriety15001
Fame000

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:44 am

Yukio Okumura wrote:
Legionheart wrote: Also, please don't compare to DA as it was the first academy clearly they are doing something right or Anzo's predecessors were. But MADA is has almost always held 2nd under DA on the ranking list. Comparing to how DA does their stuff, why should MADA copy and imitate something its not. I don't think your going to get yugioh rival here as many people don't play the game much anymore.

I agree with legion on this one. Like why have the need to Imitate something that MADA is not? MADA is one of the most unique Duel Academies to ever come into existence and the way they have evolved makes this place the best damn forum to ever chill and relax on. This Place Has been 2nd To DA for a while now so I guess the staff have been doing the right thing for it to stay that way for so long.
I'm not saying imitate, I am saying take what they are doing and apply it. If it were imitation, I would be saying "testing is wrong because DA doesn't do it" or "your current dorm system is wrong because DA doesn't do it" and look at very small things that DA does that everyone should do. For example, I was going about saying "do this because DA does it," I would saying that MADA (or another academy name here for example) should run a ladder. Another example could be that DA locked their shop thread and people make an additional topic for buying an item. But I cannot see what justifiable reason other academies should do that other then being sneaky and increasing their topic score on forumotion's directory.

But in reality, that is just one approach to a rank-up system, others have created testing, and that can work just as well. But I'm not, I am only use it as a model, and then filling in the blanks from there, because if someone is doing something that is working, and others are doing things that are not working and thus their forums is dieing, then they can learn something from someone who is doing things right. For example, let me analyze something that DA does that other academies don't: temporary shop items.

Some items on DA's shop are permanent (things like name changes), while others are temporary (shops, ranks) lasting from 1 month or 3 months. Why would they do this? They want to encourage people to duel. Not to mention if you look back in American History itself, one of the factors that led into the Great Depression was company making things that were meant to be permanent. For example, when you buy an Iphone and you crack the screen. Apple knew you were going to do that eventually. Eventually you will have to buy a new Iphone, because those things are not made to last. It's a tactic Apple does to make money. So DA has items that are temporary on their catalog because it is a common business tactic, in which case they are trying to convince their members to duel more often.

This is what I do: I look at DA and see things that they are doing and thinking "Why are they doing that?" Another example of a person who does this is Yandere Dev, the person creating a game known as Yandere Simulator. What he is doing is looking at stealth games like Hitman and seeing what he can take from that series of games, and seeing what he could use from the Hitman series and apply it to his own game.

Oracle wrote:Events take a constant upkeep, as well as incentives to keep people interested. Usually that's MC, but as you may not know...MC has very little meaning and use here. There isn't much point behind it, and with no point in the main incentive,  no one cares enough to keep events alive.

This is also the issue with Lottery and Dice games. You win....currency. and then what?

This forum was founded as a Yugioh fansite, and likely will remain so. Including other games in discussion and topics is one thing but trying to revamp an entire forum so it no longer focuses primarily on its original purpose? Sorry but no.)
You can see above when it my shop idea. You could also try raising prices. And hey, if the admins want to revamp the whole forum, it is in their place to do so. I don't think any forum I know of even has dice games as it's main focus on forumotion at least.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Khina Bree on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:46 am

@Yuuki Yuna wrote:
And hey, if the admins want to revamp the whole forum, it is in their place to do so.

And they'd lose more than half the active members if they did so.

Khina Bree
The Inkweaver
The Inkweaver

Posts : 2543
Magician Credits : 781
Age : 28
Join date : 2015-02-20

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty150--
Notoriety15001
Fame000

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:52 am

Oracle wrote:
@Yuuki Yuna wrote:
And hey, if the admins want to revamp the whole forum, it is in their place to do so.

And they'd lose more than half the active members if they did so.
Exactly, so right now, I think it should stay a YGO forum with other forums covering topics like Pokemon.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Albedo on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:09 am

There are some that have focus on gaming that use the dice rolls to provide events. Some even run 12 different dice used for 12+ games

_________________
Moderator
Mistress of Nazarick
avatar
Albedo

Posts : 122
Magician Credits : 281
Age : 22
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Great Tomb of Nazarick

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety000
Fame000

http://www.thegamestand.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:45 pm

!~Rabbit~! wrote:What an awfully longwinded way of saying "Lol give me staff here pls."
A. I'm not going to get staff after walking into a place so quickly. Stardog and the other admins should know this. Plus, I had an IP ban that was recently removed, and for getting that IP ban removed, I gave Stardog coding for profile songs + did a new head banner for him (which he says he will post a poll for eventually).
B. I actually don't care if I get staff or not. Quite frankly, if it happens, it happens.
C. I don't blame you for thinking that.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Lux0402 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Well, wassup people.

Sorry, bote, but I haven't read whole of your review because:

1.) Too lazy to do so
2.) Don't have time to do so

However, I've read all the replies. Well, first, I'll try to let you know what I do not like on MADA.

Before I start, though, for those who do not know me (probably nobody knows me here), I am Lux, and I was Administrator at Gladiator Duel Academy for almost all of it's time (I was the Head Admin last few months too) and I was an Assistant on the Duel Academy for like 7-8 months.

The first thing that I don't like is...that chatbox. I just really dislike the version with avatars in it, and I'm pretty sure that option can be removed in the Administrator Panel. I like avatars, I consider them to be something unique for every member, but it looks somewhat "messy" to me. But really, if I am the only one who actually dislikes that, then keep it as it is.

What I see is that bote compares you a lot to DA. And that's a reasonable comparasion because DA is the biggest, the best and the largest Yugioh Academy up to date. Just by creating an academy you are basically copying DA. But, of course, there can be many cheeks things that DA doesn't have.

What I would love to see changed is user's profile field. It looks messy so if you could "clean that up" it would look a lot better. Plus it'd be nice if you find some cheeky rank images, just for the forum look.

And I agree with Bote about a lot of banners, the more you have them, the longer is forum's loading time. So a head banner + maybe a banners for a dorms would be just enough.

One more thing, get rid of the glows. They are nice but the forum would look better without it.

Now, don't get me wrong, please. You've been cruising apart for 2 long years as I have heard (well, of course you are 2nd in forumotion as of now because every other academy besides MADA or DA is basically dead). So, a lot of things do not have to be changed at once. You could just update and improve things you have already! That's how academies survive at the end of the day. You add something new to something old and good.

If you need any help or suggestion, feel free to ask me. I'm more than willing to help. While I'm not a coder or GFX-er like bote is, I know how to run academy. Good luck!
avatar
Lux0402

Posts : 11
Magician Credits : 36
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Kira Yoshikage on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:51 pm

I personally don't see the need for many changes, as literally nobody has any issues with loading times, so getting rid of the glows and the main chatbox aren't really necissary, as glows are obvious indicators of a staff position, and many people(Including myself) prefer to use the main chatbox rather than the pop-up one.
"Fun" IS what MADA is. It isn't meant to be professional. MADA doesn't need people reviewing it and telling it that it needs to be something that it is not. Also, we tend to open welcome members with open arms and let them be part of the community. This being said, criticizing this place like it's an essay isn't the best way to fit in with us. Just sayin'.

_________________
"Hidden in my heart, my passionate feelings are dreams of the future and the risk of death. The dream has began to move, with the limits already heard. The road leading to that place seems to me to bestruck with dazzlingly bright light." La-Vie, Freedom

Smash mains:
avatar
Kira Yoshikage

Posts : 941
Magician Credits : 86
Age : 19
Join date : 2014-10-26
Location : Harlem, Georgia, U.S.A.
Admins Comment : Pft. this guy's a Turkey.

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety2001
Fame000

https://black-whirlwind-acad.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Didn't expect Lux to post here. Umm...That makes things awkward...You want someone asking for things to change, look at Lux for an example.

Karma Akabane wrote:I personally don't see the need for many changes, as literally nobody has any issues with loading times, so getting rid of the glows and the main chatbox aren't really necissary, as glows are obvious indicators of a staff position, and many people(Including myself) prefer to use the main chatbox rather than the pop-up one.
A. Just because no one has a problem with it doesn't mean that you should just ignore something that could be a problem.
B. There are people who can buy glows no to mention users who are not staff that have glows.
C. Have you tested having a pop-up chatbox without the main chatbox on the main page?
Karma Akabane wrote:"Fun" IS what MADA is. It isn't meant to be professional. MADA doesn't need people reviewing it and telling it that it needs to be something that it is not. Also, we tend to open welcome members with open arms and let them be part of the community. This being said, criticizing this place like it's an essay isn't the best way to fit in with us. Just sayin'.
A. You can be professional and have fun. Knowing how to be professional and have fun is important, as if you are completely professional but not having fun, you shouldn't be doing what you are doing, and if you are having fun but not completely professional, it makes you look bad.
B. a27 and Stardog have both appreciated the fact that I wrote this. Stardog even said himself that he wants to be critiqued.
C. Even if you are here to have fun, I'm not telling MADA it should be this or should be that. I am simply saying things it can do better.
D. The only person that I've seen hostility about in public from sofar is you. If you don't appreciate the fact that I write reviews, don't read my reviews.
E. If anything does come out from my review, you'll be having MORE fun.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Khina Bree on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:28 pm

We actually DID try having the pop-up chat only for a bit. Was not well liked.

Khina Bree
The Inkweaver
The Inkweaver

Posts : 2543
Magician Credits : 781
Age : 28
Join date : 2015-02-20

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty150--
Notoriety15001
Fame000

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Oracle wrote:We actually DID try having the pop-up chat only for a bit. Was not well liked.
Good to know, thanks for the tad bit of information. In which case, keep the chatbox. I was misinformed about it increasing loading times, and I'm probably going to believe Legion (the guy who said it doesn't increase loading times), because he knows more about forumotion then I do.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Lord Beerus on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:38 pm

@Lux0402 wrote:One more thing, get rid of the glows. They are nice but the forum would look better without it.

Why do you think they should get rid of the glows? How would the forum look better without them? This is what you call Non informative right here as it says nothing as to why they should do it and how it would look BETTER without it.

_________________

Codes Of Conduct|MADA Discord|TCZ Discord

avatar
Lord Beerus
MADA's Dragon Enthusiast

Posts : 947
Magician Credits : 197
Age : 17
Join date : 2015-03-21

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety000
Fame41221

http://gaminghub.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by StardoostLegend on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Honestly we hang out in MADA for fun, why be so serious about it if there isn't a big problem?

_________________
The Pure fact that bunnies exist means that everything will be okay. Smile

Also, this gif is a MUST see XD
avatar
StardoostLegend
Heraldic King

Posts : 916
Magician Credits : 3292
Join date : 2014-11-01
Location : Where ever there are bunnies

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety12101
Fame000

http://the-heraldic-sword.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:50 pm

I as I said in a earlier post, I'm greedy for a dream which will probably never happen. Actually, you could probably say this is even a greedier dream: I want to see to it that academys will never die.

Will it happen? No. They die all the time. But in a since it's sorta responsibility to me. If a new one starts up, eventually I'll come across it and I'll do the same thing I did here for there. I did the same thing for CSA. In a since, it's moreso has to do with me. Ywall can interpret this however you see fit. Discard it, appreciate it. I just need to do things that are within my skill sets to make sure I lead the horse to water. If the horse drinks the water, that's something else.

Also, I don't remember who said it, but someone said I was powerhungry. And I want to add this to that statement when I responded to it: I already have power. What is my power? Information. Information is power.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Lux0402 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Yukio Okumura wrote:
@Lux0402 wrote:One more thing, get rid of the glows. They are nice but the forum would look better without it.

Why do you think they should get rid of the glows? How would the forum look better without them? This is what you call Non informative right here as it says nothing as to why they should do it and how it would look BETTER without it.

How would it look better? Simply! Forum looks messy and in some hand unprofessional with it. I am a bit stupid, but I need a couple of moments to spot a difference between Moderators and Administrators. I love glows, but if you want to keep it, you could make them a special thing, a thing hard to obtain. I mean, if you guys love them so much, then keep them. I don't like pointing out to what you need to do and what you should get rid of, I'm just trying to show you another possibilities and options. As I said, what makes a good academy better is to add something new to something old and making it work!
avatar
Lux0402

Posts : 11
Magician Credits : 36
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 am

Lux, you're digging a grave for yourself. We're friends and all, but good luck digging yourself out.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Lord Beerus on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:47 am

@Lux0402 wrote:
Yukio Okumura wrote:
@Lux0402 wrote:One more thing, get rid of the glows. They are nice but the forum would look better without it.

Why do you think they should get rid of the glows? How would the forum look better without them? This is what you call Non informative right here as it says nothing as to why they should do it and how it would look BETTER without it.

How would it look better? Simply! Forum looks messy and in some hand unprofessional with it. I am a bit stupid, but I need a couple of moments to spot a difference between Moderators and Administrators. I love glows, but if you want to keep it, you could make them a special thing, a thing hard to obtain. I mean, if you guys love them so much, then keep them. I don't like pointing out to what you need to do and what you should get rid of, I'm just trying to show you another possibilities and options. As I said, what makes a good academy better is to add something new to something old and making it work!

Hold on. Are you really fucking serious right now? REALLY? you can't tell the difference between admins and mods? The colors go as followed Admins = Black color and Mods = White color and as it is now this site is nothing but unprofessional and thats why it so fun to be on this site. Permanent glows are for the staff only. But members can buy them from the shop for a limited time but nobody usually does it that often.

_________________

Codes Of Conduct|MADA Discord|TCZ Discord

avatar
Lord Beerus
MADA's Dragon Enthusiast

Posts : 947
Magician Credits : 197
Age : 17
Join date : 2015-03-21

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety000
Fame41221

http://gaminghub.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Yuuki Yuna on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 am

Yukio Okumura wrote:as it is now this site is nothing but unprofessional and thats why it so fun to be on this site.
Not really caring about the glow debate because that's Lux's fight to battle, are you implying that if any academy were to have a professional environment it would not be fun? If so, define Professional for me (or what you think professionalism is), I think we have different views on what that may be.

_________________
avatar
Yuuki Yuna

Posts : 65
Magician Credits : 182
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Lux0402 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:35 am

Well, whatever. I was just trying to help, but do w/e you want, as I said, I was just showing more possibilities and options.

As for glows, I don't think they are needed on forum, especially for staff.

Good luck, though, hope to see this forum grow.

avatar
Lux0402

Posts : 11
Magician Credits : 36
Join date : 2016-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Lord Beerus on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:09 am

@Yuuki Yuna wrote:
Yukio Okumura wrote:as it is now this site is nothing but unprofessional and thats why it so fun to be on this site.
Not really caring about the glow debate because that's Lux's fight to battle, are you implying that if any academy were to have a professional environment it would not be fun? If so, define Professional for me (or what you think professionalism is), I think we have different views on what that may be.

Being Professional is making sure you are always on top of the rules and enforcing them and making sure there are zero Loopholes. Being professional also means to have staff that do their duty to enforce the rules. Being Professional also means to have really active staff on a forum and not go inactive for more then a week.

Is this what you define as being professional cause it sure is how i define it.

_________________

Codes Of Conduct|MADA Discord|TCZ Discord

avatar
Lord Beerus
MADA's Dragon Enthusiast

Posts : 947
Magician Credits : 197
Age : 17
Join date : 2015-03-21

Character sheet
Reputation:
ReputationMCsWinsLoss
Bounty0--
Notoriety000
Fame41221

http://gaminghub.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Yuuki Yuna Reviews MADA

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum